Saturday, August 16, 2014

Crochet Fox Ears!


The other day I was messing around and I made a fox ear. I decided to make a tutorial for you all on how to crochet your very own fox ears. You can put them on hats, headbands, hair clips or stuffed animals.

You will need:
• Medium (worsted) yarn in orange, black and white. I used Vanna's Choice for the orange and Caron Simply Soft for the black and white.
• White pipe cleaner/ chennile stick. 
• Crochet hooks in sizes F and G. 
• Scissors and yarn needle 
• Round nose pliers and wire snips for the pipe cleaner

Got everything you need? Let's go! 

As you can see these ears are worked as two triangles sewn together. If you have your own preferred method of making a triangle, by all means have at it, and use my pictures as a guide. I make mine a little differently.  I will explain how I make them first, then move on to making the ears.

I've included a written pattern for the triangles below the picture tutorial.

Triangle-
Ch. 1
Row 1 - Single stitch (sc) over the tail. [1]
This is the top point of your triangle. 
Row 2 - Ch. 1 and turn. Sc increase (2 sc in one stitch). [2]
It looks a little funky, I know. Stay with me.
Row 3 - Ch.1 and turn. Sc inc x 2 [4]

Looks like a little face. Now, you will follow this pattern each row until the triangle is the size you want it to be. 
Row 4 (and on) - Ch. 1. Sc inc in first stitch. Sc in each stitch across, sc inc in last stitch. [6]




Here's a poorly drawn chart! 



You can see how it grows.  When you get to the size you want, you're going to turn and stitch along the sides. 

Ch. 1 and sc into the last sc you made. Sc along the edge, one stitch per row. When you get to the point, 3sc in the point, then continue down the other side. 

To make ears that are pose-able, you will also work over a pipe cleaner on this row. 
You will need to bend over the ends so that you don't have a sharp point stabbing out. Use your round nose pliers to fold over one end. 


If you want to, you can actually do this after you start working. The little bit at the end is hard to work over, so instead you can leave about 1/8 inch poking out if your work, then fold it over the stitches when you are done. 


When you get to the point, bend the pipe cleaner over your thumbnail, or using the round nose pliers. Work along the other side like normal, keeping the pipe cleaner under your stitches. 

At the end if the second side, you will need to trim the excess pipe cleaner and fold it over, after you finish off your work. Leave a 15 inch tail and do not sew it in. 


You should have this.  Bend your pipe cleaner like so ...


... And snip off all but about 1/8 inch. Bend over the end with your pliers.

Ta-da! You have a bendy triangle.

Now for the big orange and black one! 

With G hook and black. 
• work first two rows of triangle, leaving a 12 inch tail
• sc inc, switch to orange, 2 sc, stitch to black
• sc in black, switch to orange, school in same space. 4 sc. Sc, switch to black, sc in same space, switch to orange for next row. Cut black, leaving a 12 inch tail.
• continue working triangle pattern to desired size. I also threw in a couple rows where I did not increase, just to play with shape. 

Here's some pictures to help with that confusing color change stuff. 


Here you can see how I split the increases into two colors. I wanted the black to be a sort of arrow shape at the tips of the ears. 


This is a comparison of the two triangles. White has one less row but had a border, and is the same size. Just to show gets a difference hook size makes. 


I was talking with my Mom and forgot to write down which rows I didn't increase. Oops!


And now my ears are roughly the same size. You can see I have already put the border on. For the black tip, you will pick up the tail on whichever side you end on. This is why you need such long tails on both ends. Carry the orange under your stitches and slightly back, so it's behind your work, on the back of the ears. 

Time to sew on the middles. 


Hold the two pieces together and, using your long white tail, sew the bottom edges together, stitch for stitch. It will pull the orange and stretch the white, but it's okay because the pipe cleaner makes it keep it's shape.


Then just stitch all the way around. When you get to where you started, go back the other way. 


Your back will look like this. 

You can sew in the tail if you feel it's necessary. I just tuck it between the two triangles and snip it. 


See how it's between the two layers? 

I actually find it easier to lead with the eye sometimes.


Make sure it isn't through any of the stitches on the back layer. Pull it through and snip! 

WRITTEN PATTERN 
Triangle

Any gauge.
Any yarn and preferred hook for a tight fabric.

Ch 1. 
Row 1 - Sc 1 over tail. Ch 1 and turn. [1]
Row 2 - 2 sc in stitch. Ch 1 and turn.  [2]
Row 3 -  2 sc in each stitch.Ch 1 and turn. [4]
Row 4 - 2 sc in first st. Sc 1 in each stitch across, 2 sc in last stitch. Ch 1 and turn.  [6]
Repeat row 4 to desired size. Do not turn after last row.
Edging - Rotate triangle clockwise to work down the side. Sc 1 in last stitch made. Sc 1 in each row.
 - Point - 3 sc in beginning chain
 - Side - Sc 1 in each row. 
FO leaving a long tail.






There you have it! I hope this made sense . It's my first tutorial, and I know I forgot a couple things. I purposely left out how many rows each triangle is because it's really up to you. 

I hope you enjoy making some cute fox ears! I'd love to see what you do with your's. 



Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment